Although the material is still quite expensive and less accessible, Zirconium has many advantages:
• It is highly resistant to wear and masticatory forces without the risk of fracture.
• In addition to being very durable, it has a very good white colour and translucency, just like natural teeth, making it a very aesthetic material. Because of the absence of internal metal structure, light passes through it similar to passing through the natural tooth and is reflected the same, which is very important for frontal restorations.
• Zirconia dental restorations are made by cutting a solid block of zirconia with very high accuracy by a computerized machine using CAD-CAM technology.
• A very important advantage is the lack of corrosion over time, so there is no gingival irritation or metallic taste that can occur like in classic restorations case, especially after a number of years.
• Zirconia restorations are even lighter than the fused-to-metal ones, so the patient feels less to no discomfort and the accommodation happens quicker, especially if we talk about long bridges.
• Zirconia is thermo-insulating, so the temperature variations are not transmitted to the tooth pulp, thereby decreasing the risk of a possible future pulp inflammation.
• Being a biocompatible and bioinert material, it is very well accepted by the body and there is no risk of allergic reaction.